Hemi-Demi-Semi Popped Lobs

I may be amongst very few people for whom the discovery of the hypodermic needle and syringe has improved their quality of life.

A rather ramshackle round up this and I should've taken more photos along the way. I realise that now.

I've been out twice in recent days; firstly still prospecting for large perch at Wykin Fishing Club's golf course pools and secondly a few hours on the Coventry canal chasing a 4lb hybrid or whatever else came along.

But before all that some prep for next season on the river Anker. Over the course of last week I gradually filled a tray with rig bits (and X2 reading glasses!) and whenever I had a spare five minutes I tied one up using a variety of hooklength materials.

Prep

Anticipating the warmer weather and the return of the pellet I tied up a few 'lassoed pellet' rigs. By far my most successful rig over the years for barbel and chub on the Warks Avon. The lassoe element of the hair is simply a three turn grinner knot which can be slid open and shut and which grips the pellet. 

The Lassoed Pellet

The fishing at the golf course was slow. These are the inbetweener weeks when spring's engines are still warming up and winters icy fingers are losing their grasp on our days. Perfect for perch though which are still yet to spawn. If I'm to catch a noteworthy perch this spring then I must make haste as all this will change within a month.

A local yet undiscovered perch venue is something I'm yet to land upon but I'm certainly enjoying the search.

The canal last night was vindy (sic) such that I moved along from last weeks spot to somewhere more sheltered.

Too Windy in Last Week's Spot

Alongside my float rod I fished a ledger rod on an alarm and light radiator cover bobbin holding two halves of a lob worm secured on a small maggot clip hair and injected / inflated with just enough air to raise the worm ends off the deck but not enough to float them. When dangled in the edge to test you will see the worm sinks very slowly, retains some movement and the hook will sit beneath it.

I see this as a useful option for the river later in the year whereupon the worm can be swung round in the current under far bank cover.

This palaver was flicked to the far margin and surrounded by hemp.   
  
Standard.

Bites were less frequent than last week and I ended up with four fish; a very small bream, one hybrid about 2lb and a couple of fat perch, all to the float.

'Brid.

Fatty.

Cheers.

Comments