Can You Hear the Sirens Coming?

Woop-Woop


Woop-woop that's the sound of a day off!

As I donned my jacket when I got out of the car I fastened the Velcro straps around my wrists and made a point of concealing my watch. A rare treat indeed. Horometry gives way to the flow of a spring day.

I was at Wykin Fishing Club's Frolesworth lake not really knowing what lived here but with my mind focussed on perch, a bream or maybe even a tench. I know the pool holds carp as on my one previous trip last summer armed with only (defrosted dead) maggots and chopped worms it was all I caught down the edge.

Today was different, today the worms were alive. Half a ki' of dendro', some lobs and three pints of Tackle Shack's finest were the mainstay of the bait bucket.

The breeze was stiff and from the East and the air was hovering around 12C. I wasn't interested in the carp on this occasion which I figured would move on the wind so fished in the calm water in the shelter of a coppice to the back of me.

Bosh. A carp rolls in the windy ripples in the middle of the pool.

I fished a sliding 3AAA waggler on my float rod into about 10ft of water just off the rod tip. This pool is deep so this was still the marginal shelf. Half a lob went onto the hook.

The second feeder setup went out about 30yds and was clipped-up so the bait would build throughout the day. 50:50 choppy and Margot within and a partially inflated halved lob on the hook.

Bosh. There they go again, closer to the far windward margin this time.

Nibbles on the float had me putting gradually smaller and smaller pieces of worm onto the hook until eventually half a dendro threaded around the shank gave me my first proper bite from a glistening and pristine roach. 

See How I Glisten For You?

Determined to stay focussed on tempting a perch half a worm was my lower limit for bait size. Roach followed roach up to just over the pound mark, all shiny and mint. 

I'm hoping once the carp anglers have filled the place in with particles this summer these beauties will feed well warranting a dedicated session later in the year.

The light bobbin on the feeder rod was motionless and it was now mid afternoon - I could tell by the sun.

Bosh, bosh, bosh. Relentlessly they boshed ever closer to the far bank.

Ah fuck it, I can resist their siren song no more, I'm going to have to try and catch one...

I 'reimagined' a pole float rig as it was blowing hard over there. Two swan shot running down the mainline to a float stop and a four inch lassoed pellet smoke screen hooklength.

Bosh.

I walked to windy corner via my car as I had a tub of pellets inside which I've been using to feed the river recently.

Bosh.

Three handfuls of mixed pellets go into the edge and my float is swung out over the top. It's 15:36 as I allow myself to look at my watch once I'm lying flat to the ground on my unhooking mat.



It's now 15:53...
 
Bosh

I miss another bite before returning to my original spot and pick up where I left off.

Bosh.

Nothing to the feeder rod in the deeper water all day despite me ringing the changes on hook baits, and one last carp to the float once they moved into the margins after tea time.



Bosh

So nothing other than carp and roach all day from the pool makes me wonder if that's it for it's contents. Still, a day off work is great and a day spent fishing is even better.


To start bringing my account back into the black I built a hench, a hybrid of henge and bench for the garden.

Master Craftsman

Bosh.

Comments