Pole Float by Torch Light

A thoroughly enjoyable evening this spent on the Coventry canal on the outskirts of Nuneaton.

The clocks had changed at the weekend meaning by the time I arrived I had a good three hours of light ahead of me and then a smidge into dark after that. Happy days. 

Monday evening marked the end of the recent unseasonal warm spell and the descent into something more akin to the end of March which we find out of the window today. 

I was joined once again in a spectating capacity by my Anker barbel ally Ade and we filled the spring air with the chatter of plans both running and still.

I fished two rods; my 15ft float rod with a delicate pole rig over maggots, hemp and some bread mash and the second rod with a light ledger outfit which I plopped all around holding an inflated lobworm pretty much straight off the bomb and on the look out for something different.

Worth noting here that last week I legered both rods into the mouth of the marina opposite perhaps deciding too soon that it was sufficient a feature to hold fish. This time I wanted to essentially pole fish but with a running line. When I plumbed-up I found all the decent depth was on my near side. Five rod rings deep straight off the rod tip is where I settled. Anything requiring I fish further out than that and a change of float style would have been required, say to a light antenna waggler.

As an aside here, I strongly believe if more matchmen utilised a float rod and centrepin with their pole rigs it would transform their margin carp game. When time is of the essence and small efficiencies can make big differences, as they can for them, I reckon the subduing time on a running line would pay dividends ($$$). 

With my rod butt sitting with me on my chair and the rod rested in front of me it meant the line between rod and float tip could be kept out of the water. Even an inch or two of line laying on the surface affected the way the delicate float (4xNo.11) sat. Trust me when I say I was glad it wasn't a windy day. Fishing directly under the rod tip also enabled me to shine a tight beam onto the bristle once the light went and I could fish on. 

The Beam and Bristle.

Direct Line Insurance

I was rewarded with five fish to the float on the night - two hybrids and a thoroughbred bream each weighing about a pound, and then as soon as the light started to fade two cracking hybrids which pulled like hell weighing 3lbs 12oz and 3lbs 8ozs respectively (below).

Enough Roach to Make it Handsome.


Time for home @3lbs 8ozs.

The inflated lob received a few sharp tugs but nothing hittable. Rig refinement required here.

Cheers.

Comments

  1. I'm thinking more about pole float of the rod tip, and pin. I've got a 15 foot rod and another that needs a middle section repair.

    Nice bryd .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's certainly a deadly method which has caught me lots of fish over the years. The rod doesn't have to be especially long either, I've often used a 13ft rod and then sat 10ft back from the edge of the pool. :)

      Delete
  2. Some nice fish there Keith !!!. I won a works match once with 80 odd pound of carp using a centrepin and a pole float with a match rod. Great way to fish, the pole users were not happy !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I now wish to be known as King Ratchet but be careful how you say it as it could sound like 'kin rat shit. :)

      Delete

Post a Comment