Love Is In The Air.

For my last hurrah of 2022 I returned to the Anker once more, dreaming of a barbel.

When I set myself the task of catching one of these elusive fish last year it seemed like I had time on my side. Now, with one last session at hand it felt like the trials and tribulations of all that had gone before were compressed into this; one session, one river, one chance(?). Truly the sort of drama only a closed season can overlay upon your day and a hard stop to proceedings whether you like it or not.

March is often as kind to anglers as it is spiteful. Offering them the green shoots of spring and a countryside resurrecting from winter in one hand whilst in the other a substantial padlock soon to be hung to the gate.

The countryside resplendent and mild I travelled light. A rod, a net and rest, a small bucket of baits and my tackle bag could not hope to weigh me down.

I'd chosen a stretch which to the best of my knowledge has little form or report of barbus in recent years. But that didn't matter as I'd chosen it for a reason more important than even that - it is glorious! It's everything I love about river fishing with it's twists and turns, holes, runs and glides. The Anker cannot be described as a big river by any stretch of the imagination and here it is small enough for swims to sometimes offer you just one shot.  


Don't fuck it up!

I'm an impatient soul and so the first swim I came to I made a cast. This was not in the script which was hung around my neck and clearly printed in large bold type font underlined,

"Walk the stretch identifying your chosen spots, deposit a little peace offering and then fish your way back up"

Sod that. I had a thirst to quench and so stopped for a swifty at the first bend. Second cast and the tip knocks then pulls round and I'm playing my first chub. There is no photo to follow as this fish was so ugly I fear it may breach bloggers family friendly thresholds. Suffice to say it has probably lived in the area way longer than I have.

Thirst quenched I followed my script with only a few ad libs along the way as I swung out into the faster runs with larger pieces of meat and bounced them around. It really felt like the rod could hoop at any moment.

A four pound chub followed the first old boy from such a fast run. He had my heart all a flutter in the current.

4lb Chub

As time ticked by I found myself smiling increasingly not for what I might catch today but in the near future.
Spring Springing Like it Does.

I stayed too long in the last peg. I'd caught a chub first put in over the bait I'd left behind on my way down then as the light started to fade a big fish rolled over my hemp. My whole being and season now became totally immersed in this moment. Could it be a barbel? I should at least stay a little longer in the hope it finds my bait... 

The End.

Either it wasn't or it didn't, one will never know, but by the light of my headtorch I made my way back to the car. My chance will come again and by the time it arrives this scene will be unrecognisable and lush. That's fishing folks, there's always something new around the corner.

My dinner was still in the oven.

Cheers.

Comments

  1. The oven? Not in the dog then....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think my other half is starting to understand the symptoms of my affliction even if she cannot comprehend it herself. The symptoms include; stopping at every bridge on walks and staring into the water, randomly pointing at a lake and saying (loudly) with certainty, "They'll be over there on a day like today", and the old favourite returning home from the waters edge bright eyed and bushy tailed like I've spent a month on a yoga retreat when I've actually just had a few hours on the canal. :)

      Delete
  2. Great stuff Keith !!!, looking forward how you get on in the new season, should be more up for a feed when the water is a little warmer. Nice chub too btw

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It feels like a numbers game Mick. If barbel numbers were not a variable or limiting factor then there were a dozen swims which would have held one on this trip. For all I know there might have been only one barbel on the stretch but nonetheless every swim must be tested to determine if that was the one holding on the day. :)

      Delete
  3. From what I know of that river , when you do catch (I’ve every faith in you) it will be a very good fish . πŸŒžπŸ‘πŸ•Š

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that will be a day to savour! πŸ€žπŸΌπŸ‘πŸΌ

      Delete
  4. Just needed to come back and read some stuff whilst its not quite June 16th. Looks a lovely stretch

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cheers Adam! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment