By Way of An Introduction

I have stumbled upon the River Anker in a manner akin to the way it meanders through North Warwickshire - with a twist and a turn and rarely in a straight line. Life has delivered me unto it's lap. A true 'deposit at the bank' if ever there was one.

I'll not seek to regurgitate it's vital statistics here other than to say it rises in the village of Wolvey then passes unceremoniously through the centre of Nuneaton, where it looks sorry for itself and in what we can only assume was a regrettable error of judgement on its behalf, before high-tailing it out into the countryside where it winds largely unchecked by man until running in with the Tame at Tamworth, and is gone.

I'm new to the river so am still learning but as far as I can work out it's never been a trendy angling  destination. Making the biggest news for some wrong reasons whilst being polluted and only very occasionally making the angling news. Finding information online can be tough and even once you've found the club that controls the water the chances of them having a flashy website are slim. I like it. Much better of course to chat to those you bump into along the way whether that be on the bank or at the grub dispensary. A slow-burner of a picture forming rather than an instant 4k flash on the screen.

With a lot of it just down the road and its terminus only half an hour away from me I've started to fish it, with some gusto.

To date I've caught; chub, roach, rudd, dace and perch. The most notable fish in terms of size being a chub of 5lb 1oz. Not too shabby a start.


There are barbel in the river and I've made it my target to catch one before the 2021 season is out. Size is of little or no importance right now. I just need to confirm they exist as at best they are described as sparse.

Then there's always an Anker grayling to try for - something I never did achieve from my home river the Warwickshire Avon. A true unicorn of an idlers quest.

Hopefully then that's set the scene. I now live close to a river I've not fished much before and upon which it's hard to find decent information. Herein I will record my trips in either short or long form and digress to other places along the way. 

I hope you find something you like.

Wish me luck!

Comments

Post a Comment